Summer 2020 is the summer of the virtual micro internship!
As we know, the unfortunate reality is that most students and recent graduates will not have the opportunity to complete traditional, in-office internships this summer. But luckily, that doesn’t mean that professional development is out the window for the season. Many companies and organizations are now offering virtual, micro internships to students and recent grads.
If you’re not familiar with virtual micro internships, here’s a helpful definition from Parker Dewey:
“Micro-Internships are short-term, paid, professional assignments that are similar to those given to new hires or interns. These projects enable Career Launchers to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks as they seek the right full-time role. Unlike traditional internships, Micro-Internships can take place year-round, typically range from 5 to 40 hours of work, and are due between one week and one month after kick-off.”
Featuring and proactively engaging students and alums with virtual micro internships on uConnect is easy. Here’s how you can start now:
- Create a ‘Virtual Micro Internship’ job category in your dashboard - that students will be able to filter opportunities for virtual micro internships
- Publish information about the virtual micro internship pulled in through your CSM (Handshake, Symplicity, etc.), or publish the opportunity directly to uConnect
- Here’s how to publish an opportunity from your CSM
- Here’s how to publish an opportunity directly to uConnect
- Make sure to tag your virtual micro internships appropriately so they show up in your students’ newsletters
- Here’s information on tagging content so it’s accurately pulled into newsletters (the article walks through tagging a blog - in this case, you’ll be tagging the opportunity to a Job Category rather than a Blog Category)
- Add a widget to your homepage or on your Communities to specifically highlight virtual micro internship opportunities
- If you’d like to take this step, just reach out to email@example.com and we will set this up for you!
- Let your students know they can now find virtual micro internship on uConnect! A few ideas for spreading the word:
- Add the link to your jobs page pre-filtered for virtual internships as a ‘Hot Link’ in your newsletters! (To get this pre-filtered link, just navigate to your jobs or internships page, select the filter for ‘virtual micro internships’ and then select the URL at the top of your web browser). Here’s how to add it as a Hot Link.
- Post a blog or microblog on uConnect letting students know why and where they can check out virtual micro internships
- Share the news on your social channels
If you have questions on anything discussed in this article, or anything else uConnect, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.