A newsletter-style blog published every third Wednesday of the month. In the Memo, you'll find practical advice and best practices for using your uConnect platform, inspiration from other partner schools, news from the uConnect community, and more!
SUPPORTING STUDENT CAREER DEVELOPMENT FROM HOME
Instead of the Client Spotlight this month, we wanted to share a few ideas for supporting students while they learn from home. Especially for those students who will be graduating soon and starting out in a first or new career, online career support is more vital than ever. Here are just a few ideas for supporting them!
- Send a reminder to students and your community that your uConnect platform is there, and is the place to go to find all things career. Post about it on your social media channels too!
- Freshen up -- publish some new blogs, events, and opportunities so your students know it's a current and up-to-date space.
- Use your homepage banner space and/or an alert banner to share your most important news and updates. You can update your homepage banner yourself; to have an alert banner added, just reach out to email@example.com.
- Use the sticky post feature to keep relevant blog posts at the top.
- Add a chat feature, such as Facebook Chat (see it live on Indiana University College of Arts and Science’s platform) or tawk.to (see it live on University of Washington’s platform) to your platform so students can ask questions. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get a chat feature set up. Or, use a form so students can submit questions and files, such as resumes for review.
- Market online events and virtual office hours on the platform.
- Add videos!
- Use the Editorial Calendar to keep everyone on schedule remotely
If you have any ideas or questions, we’d love to hear them. We’re available as usual on our support channel: email@example.com.
If you’re looking to increase the visibility of jobs, events, and resources published on your uConnect platform, archive pages offer a helpful solution. Each time a new job, event, or resource is published on uConnect, it’s automatically stored on an archive page that matches the type of content being published. For instance, one page on your platform is automatically generated to store all your published jobs, and a separate page is created for other content types, including events, and resources. These archive pages provide a unique way to showcase the opportunities and resources available to students and your broader community.
Archive pages will not be publicly visible, unless linked in your main navigation or text within a community or page on your platform. This means that site visitors won’t be able to see the automatically generated pages, unless you give a uConnect team member permission to link it in your navigation, or you’ve linked it from within your text somewhere. To access each of these pages, you’ll need to add a key phrase to the end of your uConnect domain name. The jobs page is found by adding ‘/jobs/’ to the end of the domain, whereas events can be located by adding ‘/events/’, and resources under ‘/resources/.’
Here’s an example of a jobs archive page:
In the jobs archive page above, an employer name, job title, logo, description, and expiration date are all being pulled in. You can also use the filters (shown below) to search through job opportunities by the type of job content categories identified in your backend.
This same search option is available for the other archived pages as well. Below is an example of an events archive page, where you can filter by the event content categories added in your backend, and view a listing of all published events with titles, dates, and times included.
Like the jobs and events pages, filters can be used on your resources archive page to search by a specific content category. The resources page includes logos, descriptions, titles, and featured images for each published resource. Below is an example of a resources archive page:
To make each archive page public, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and a uConnect team member will assist you in adding the page to your main navigation!
Welcome to the newest members of the uConnect community! Great things are ahead.
- Capella University
- Strayer University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Check out the University of Calgary Launch Announcement!
Happy 7th Birthday to:
Happy 4th Birthday to:
Happy 2nd Birthday to:
Happy 1st Birthday to:
Check out articles published over the past month and get in the know!