The upcoming UPCEA Marketing and Enrollment Management Seminar is taking place December 5th-7th at the Washington Hilton. And, while we're all going to be networking, attending sessions, and presenting our hearts out, there's always time to see a bit of what the city has to offer. In fact, according to the MEMS event schedule, we've got plenty of free time Tuesday and Wednesday evening, with things wrapping up pretty early Thursday afternoon - so don't miss out on the opportunity to ogle some politicos and absorb some of the friendly DC culture!
Traveling to Washington DC for the upcoming UPCEA MEMS Conference? Us too! Even if there won't be cherry blossoms this time of year, we're still looking forward to being in the nation's capital to make new friends and explore cool neighborhoods - oh, and the snack options are pretty solid too!
Here are 5 options to fill a few hours of free time in DC:1. Pretend it's spring at the Botanic Garden
- Even during the cold months, the U.S. Botanic Garden conservatory is warm and humid, with new plants flowering daily. Just a short Uber ride away from MEMS headquarters, it'll be just like vacationing in the tropics.
2. Take in some lesser-known Smithsonians
- While the National Air & Space Museum and the Portrait Gallery deserve all the love they get, there are 17 other Smithsonian museums to suit every interest. A couple ideas: Lincoln's desk chair at the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, or John Lennon's childhood stamp collection at the National Postal Museum.
3. Eavesdrop and nosh on Capitol Hill
- Lobbyists, congresspeople, and lawmakers galore fill Capitol Hill's bars and restaurants in droves during happy hour. How else would you recuperate from the daily D.C. proceedings?
4. Be a local in nearby Adams Morgan neighborhood
- The lively Adams Morgan neighborhood is just a short walk from MEMS headquarters. Plenty of options to see, snack, shop and enjoy some nightlife. Take a peek Washington.org's great neighborhood guide.
- 10 Minute Walk from the Hilton - MAP
5. Sample all the snacks and find stocking stuffers
- Trying to fit in some early holiday shopping AND get your snack on? Eastern Market is a veritable foodie sanctuary, and pretty close to the National Mall so you can walk it all off afterward.
- Opening hours 7-7 - MAP
uConnect works with colleges and universities to make career outcomes a bigger part of their brand narrative and overall value proposition to prospective and current students. Learn more at MEMS.