Headed to Baltimore for UPCEA? So are we! We are thrilled to visit one of the country’s oldest cities. Here are 5 things to do while you're in Charm City for a few days of fun (and professional development) at UPCEA 2018.
1. The Inner Harbor and the National Aquarium
One of the main attractions of the city, the Inner Harbor is a beautiful place to take a stroll and people-watch. Perhaps you’ll be inspired to step into one of the many museums, or take a water taxi ride. In particular, the National Aquarium is a prominent attraction in this area, among the world’s best aquariums, and you can spend several amazed hours walking through it.
- Travel time from UPCEA Conference headquarters: 10-15 minutes on foot!.
This neighborhood is full of fun shops and restaurants. Walk up and down 36th Street and stop in somewhere for a nosh, and buy yourself a kitschy souvenir somewhere way more original than the BWI giftshop.
- Travel time from UPCEA Conference headquarters: 20-25 minutes by car.
Are you a baseball or football fan? Visit the home of the Orioles, then walk over (yes, it’s walking distance!) to the home of the Ravens for another tour.
- Travel time from UPCEA Conference headquarters: to Camden Yards, under 15 minutes on foot; to M&T Bank Stadium, 25 minutes on foot (or just another 10 minutes from Camden Yards!).
Sherwood Gardens offers stunning seasonal flower plantings and views of a lovely, residential neighborhood that is a National Register Historic District. Or check out Druid Hill Park, a sprawling, 745-acre green space containing the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore and the Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens. Finally, if you’re in the Inner Harbor area, walk up to Federal Hill Park for stunning views of the city and the water.
- Travel time from UPCEA Conference headquarters: 25 minutes by car to both Sherwood Gardens & Druid Hill Park; 15 minutes to Federal Hill Park by foot/ferry.
This is the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner. Learn about the bombardment that inspired Francis Scott Key and the larger Battle of Baltimore. Twice a day, there is a flag change using a reproduction of the original “star spangled banner”; there is also a “flag talk”, during which visitors can help unroll a life-sized replica of the flag and learn about its history.
- Travel time from UPCEA Conference headquarters - 25 minutes, by car or on foot.
We hope you get a chance to see a bit of beautiful Baltimore. See you at UPCEA!
Above photograph of Baltimore Inner Harbor by uConnect team member, Sarah!